Calcutta Chicken and Rice
Makes 4 servings.
- 8 choice broiler-fryer pieces
- salt and ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 to 1½ tablespoons curry powder
- 1 x 10½-ounce can chicken gravy
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 3 tablespoons catsup
- 2 to 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Melt butter in 10-inch skillet.
- Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat until browned on all sides.
- Remove chicken; set aside.
- Pour off excess fat.
- Add onion to skillet and cook, stirring, over low heat until soft but not brown.
- Stir in curry powder, scraping bottom of skillet to loosen browned particles.
- Add gravy, marmalade and catsup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Arrange chicken pieces in sauce.
- Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Serve chicken and sauce over beds of fluffy rice.