California Avocado-Citrus Tamales With Roasted Pepper and Chipotle Pesto
- 4 Cups prepared masa (Prepared masa is sold at Mexican markets and some grocery stores)
- ½ Tbsp Cayenne
- 2 Tbsp tangerine zest, grated
- ¼ Cup pine nuts
- 8 corn husks, soaked until soft
- 1 avocado, sliced into 8 even pieces
- For Pesto
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and seeded
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp water
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp canned chipotle chilies
- 1 oz pine nuts
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- To Serve
- 4 corn husks
- 2 avocados, peeled and halved
- Tangerine zest
- Red bell pepper, julienned
Place prepared masa in a bowl.
Remove husks before serving.
For Roasted red pepper and Chipotle Pesto, combine ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth but still textured. Warm gently before serving.
To serve tamales, spread pesto over bottom half of each plate.
Tie one end of a corn husk with a thin strip of husk to form a fan shape.
Place a fan on each plate with tied end in center.
Place one whole tamale on the husk and half a tamale on either side.
Slice avocados and arrange slices in fan shapes over sauce.
Garnish with tangerine zest and red pepper.
Note: Prepared masa is sold at Mexican markets and some grocery stores.