California Avocado Catalan
The flavors of southern Spain permeate this dish. The sauce is thick, crunchy, and aromatic. You can use anchovies that are packed in olive oil and chop them very fine, to a paste. If you use the salt-packed anchovies, be sure to fillet them and rinse well. The almonds do not have to be blanched; in fact, sliced natural almonds are ideal.
- 1 cup mild olive oil
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup (or to taste) fresh orange juice
- ¾ cup sliced almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed, and chopped medium fine
- 2 tbsp grated orange zest
- 1 tbsp puréed or finely chopped anchovies
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 ripe California avocados
- 1 small head lettuce or 2 small bunches watercress, large stems trimmed
- Just toast them in a 350 °F oven until golden, about 7 minutes.
- Whisk all the ingredients except the avocados and lettuce together.
- Divide the lettuce among 4 salad plates.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits and peels, then cut into slices or chunks.
- Place the avocados on the lettuce and spoon the vinaigrette over top.