California Avocado Ceviche
- Makes 12 appetizer servings
- 1½ pounds fish fillets, scallops or other shellfish cleaned, cut
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 canned green chiles, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 or 4 genuine California avocados, cubed
- ½ tsp basil
- 3 cups rice cooked, hot
- 2 cups lime juice
- Place in large bowl, combine oil, wine, oregano, basil and lime juice; pour over.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- About 4 hours before serving, add tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, garlic and onion.
- Return to refrigerator.
- Just before serving, add avocado cubes, lift ceviche from marinade with slotted spoon and serve immediately over rice.