Sandwich-sized calzoni are often sold at Italian lunch counters or by street vendors because they are easy to eat while standing or walking.
Sweet versions, usually smaller and cookie-sized, are a specialty in the Marche region of Itlay.
Fried versions typically filled with tomato and mozzarella, are made in Puglia and are called Panzerotti.
Related to the Sicilian cuddiruni or cudduruni pizza. This is stuffed with onions (or sometimes other vegetables such as potatoes or broccoli), anchovies, olives, cheese, mortadella: the rolled pizza dough is folded in two over the stuffing and the edge is braided, prior to frying. A calzone (Italian "stocking" or "trouser" or "drooping sack" or "hanging fold") is a turnover that originates from Italy. It is made of ingredients similar to pizza, folded over and shaped like a crescent before being cooked. The typical calzone is stuffed with tomato and mozzarella, and may include other ingredients usually associated with pizza toppings.
In Italian the word calzone has three syllables, [kalˈtsone]. Pronunciations of the word in English vary greatly, with UK: /kælˈtsoʊni/ or /kælˈzoʊni/, and US: /kælˈzoʊni/, /kælˈzoʊneɪ/, or /kælˈzoʊn/.
Makes 6 calzones. Your choice of filling.
- 10 oz refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 egg
- grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 12 oz bulk pork sausage or Italian sausage
- ½ cup pizza sauce
- 1 x 4 oz pkg shredded mozzarella cheese (1 cup)
- 1 x 2-oz can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 x 10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach
- 1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham (5 oz)
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (4oz)
- 2 tsp thinly sliced green onion
- Unroll pizza dough.
- Roll or stretch dough into a 15x10" rectangle.
- Cut into 6 x 5" squares.
- Divide desired filling among squares.
- Brush edges with water.
- Lift one corner and stretch dough over to the opposite corner.
- Press edges of dough well with fork to seal.
- Arrange on a greased baking sheet.
- Prick tops with a fork.
- Combine egg and 1 tsp water.
- Brush onto calzones.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan, if desired.
- Bake 425°F for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Before serving.
- In a skillet cook pork sausage or Italian sausage until brown.
- Stir in pizza sauce, , shredded mozzarella cheese and mushroom stems and pieces.
- Cook spinach according to pkg directions; drain well.
- In a bowl combine spinach, ham , shredded Swiss cheese, and 2 green onion.