Caramel Pecan Pie
- 1 Tbs. kudzu
- 2/3 cup sucanat
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup whole-Wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans, plus 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbs. agar flakes
1. Preheat oven to 350ûF. Brush 8-inch pie plate with oil.
2. Make crust: In medium bowl, sift together flours, cinnamon and salt. In small bowl, whisk oil and syrup. With rubber spatula or wooden spoon, fold liquid into flour mixture just until blended (don’t over mix). Roll dough into ball and cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate 40 minutes.
3. Place dough between two sheets of parchment paper; sprinkle with flour as needed. Roll into 10-inch circle. Remove top sheet of parchment; place your hand under bottom sheet and flip dough into pie plate. Pierce bottom of crust with fork to form several steam holes. Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack.
5. In medium saucepan, bring 1/2 cup water and agar to a simmer over medium heat. Tilt pan toward you and whisk vigorously until agar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1 1/2 cups coconut milk. Dissolve kudzu in remaining 1/4 cup coconut milk. Add to agar mixture; stir well. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until somewhat thickened.
6. In small saucepan, dissolve sucanat in 1/4 cup water. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. When the syrup bubbles, lift pan and swirl it. Cook, lifting and swirling, 8 minutes. Whisk caramelized sucanat into coconut milk mixture. Add chopped pecans, vanilla and lemon peel; stir well. Remove from heat and cool 20 minutes.
7. Pour filling into crust; top with pecan halves. Chill for several hours, or until set.