Caribbean Pepper Pot Soup
A nicely spiced vegetable soup that is hearty enough to be a meal. It has an island flavor from the coconut that is slightly sweet with just a touch of herbs.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Scotch bonnet peppers or habanero peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 cups acorn squash or butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes or carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 (16 ounces) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (28 ounces) can whole tomatoes, chopped,including juice
- 4 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 1 (14 ounces) can unsweetened coconut milk
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Cook onions in oil in a skillet until tender.
- Place onions in crockpot along with garlic, ginger, chili powder, Scotch bonnet, coriander, celery seeds, salt, pepper, sugar, squash (or carrots), kidney beans, tomatoes and stock.
- Stir to mix well.
- Cover and cook on low for 8–10 hours or on high for 4–6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Add coconut milk and stir well.
- Set crockpot to high and cook for 15–20 minutes more.
- Garnish with cilantro before serving.