Caribbean Sweet Potato Salad
A refreshing change from our regular salad. This is great tasting and has lots of veggies that look pretty together.
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup corn (frozen or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon prepared Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil (or corn oil)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cucumber, chopped coarsely
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup peanuts, finely chopped
- Place the russet potatoes into a large saucepan, and cover with salted water.
- Bring to a boil, turn the heat down, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, and cook about 15 minutes more, or until both potatoes are tender.
- Add corn kernels to the potatoes and cook another 30 seconds.
- Drain in a colander.
- Fill the saucepan with cold water, and drop vegetables into water.
- Cool for 5 minutes, and drain again.
- In a large serving bowl, whisk together mustard, lime juice, cilantro, and garlic.
- Slowly whisk in oil.
- Mix in salt and black pepper.
- Cut cooled potatoes into 1 inch cubes, and add to dressing along with cucumber, and red onion.
- Toss well.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Add the peanuts just before serving.