Carrot Cake I
- Original recipe
- Makes 20 servings
- refrigerated butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 large egg whites, at room temperature
- ½ cup (114 g) plain non-fat yogurt
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) canola oil
- ½ cup (136 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup (73 g) dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- 2½ cups (313 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (5 ml) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (110 g) shredded carrots
- 4 ounces (120 g) unsweetened crushed pineapple with juice
- ¼ cup (36 g) dark raisins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, gas mark 6).
- Position the top rack in the center of the oven.
- Lightly coat a 9 inch (22.5 cm) bundt pan with cooking spray.
- Dust with flour and tap out excess.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, yogurt, oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- On a piece of waxed paper, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt (if using), cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Gradually add to egg-applesauce mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Stir in the carrots.
- Drain and reserve the juice from the pineapple.
- Stir the drained pineapple and raisins into the cake batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Slide a thin knife around the edges and center of the cake to loosen it from the pan.
- Invert onto a rack to cool.
- When ready to serve, transfer cake to a serving platter.
Per serving (cake only):
- 103 calories (20% calories from fat) | 3g protein | 2g total fat (0.2g saturated fat) | 19g carbohydrate | 1g dietary fiber | 123 mg sodium
- Diabetic exchanges: 1½ carbohydrate (1½ bread/starch)
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/