A Catfish recipe.
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound smoked ham, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1½ cups chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green bell peppers
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 x 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 7 cups or chicken stock
- 1¾ cups uncooked rice
- 3 pounds U.S. farm-raised catfish fillets, cut into 1-inch pieces
- salt (to taste)
- Place a dutch oven or a large, cast-iron pot over medium heat.
- Add sausage and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add ham and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in onions, celery, green peppers and garlic and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, thyme, oregano, black pepper and basil.
- Cook, stirring, for another 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add rice and cook for 10 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Add catfish fillet pieces and cook for another 10 minutes or until flakes easily when tested with a fork.
- The jambalaya should be thick but not soupy.
- Add salt to taste and adjust the other seasonings if desired.
- Serve on large, rimmed dinner plates or in soup bowls.