Holiday twist bread. Serves 18.
- 1 pack (or 1 tablespoon) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 to 2½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the ¼ cup of warm water. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine the flours and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the egg, oil, yeast mixture and remaining 1¼ cups of water.
- Mix well.
- Knead the dough on a floured board, adding more whole wheat flour until the dough is smooth and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl.
- Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Divide the dough into three parts. Roll each third into a strip about 15 inches long.
- Braid the strips together and place on a lightly-oiled baking sheet.
- Brush with the beaten egg. Sprinkle on the poppy seeds.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
one serving = calories: 115 carbohydrates: 21 protein: 4 fat: 2 sodium: 59 potassium: 74 cholesterol: 15 exchange value: 1-½ bread exchanges