Cherry Pie with Whipped Topping
- Drain cherries well, reserving 1 cup liquid.
- Set cherries aside and combine 1 cup liquid and cornstarch.
- Cook and stir over moderate heat until thickened and transparent and the starchy taste is gone.
- Remove from heat and add sugar substitute, almond flavoring and cherries.
- Taste and add more sweetener, if desired.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Spread filling evenly in crust.
- Let set at least 15 minutes.
- Combine dry milk and water and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Beat at high speed for 4 minutes.
- Add lemon juice to whipped milk and beat at high speed for 4 minutes.
- Stir in the sugar and sugar substitute while it is being beaten.
- Add vanilla to whipped topping and refrigerate until use.