Cherry Rice Cream
Makes 10 servings.
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 3 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2/3 cup Sugar
- 1 envelope (1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 16-ounce can tart pitted cherries (drain; reserve liquid)
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- cherry Sauce
- Combine rice, milk, orange peel and Sugar.
- Cook over medium heat 20 to 25 minutes, or until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Soften gelatin in cold water. Stir into pudding mixture.
- Add vanilla and drained cherries. Remove from heat and chill until partially set.
- Fold in egg whites. Pour into 2-quart mold or individual molds.
- Chill until set. To serve, unmold and top with cherry Sauce.
- cherry Sauce: Combine liquid drained from cherries with 1 tablespoon cornstarch.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened. Cool and serve over cherry rice cream.
- A little Sugar may be added if cherries are not sweet enough.