Chicago-style Deep-dish Spinach Pizza
Contributed by Jenn B aka Mom2Sam and Tiny at World Recipes Y-Group
- Source: Better Homes and Gardens
- Prep: 25 minutes | Bake: 40 minutes | Cool: 10 minutes | Stand: 10 minutes
- Makes 8 servings
- ¾ pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 x 8-ounce can pizza sauce
- 1 x 4-ounce can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 x 3-ounce package sliced pepperoni
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil, crushed
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 x 16-ounce loaf frozen whole-wheat bread dough or white bread dough, thawed
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- 1 x 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or Romano cheese
- In a large skillet cook Italian sausage and onion until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain Fat.
- Pat with paper towels to remove additional fat.
- Stir in pizza sauce, mushrooms, pepperoni, basil, oregano, and red pepper.
- On a lightly floured surface roll ⅔ of the bread dough into a 12-inch circle. (if necessary, let dough rest once or twice during rolling.)
- Carefully place the circle in a greased 9-inch spring-form pan, pressing the dough 1½ inches up the sides.
- Sprinkle bottom of the dough with ½ cup of the mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon meat filling over cheese.
- Pat spinach dry with paper towels.
- Mix spinach, egg, and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Spread spinach mixture over meat filling.
- Roll remaining dough into a 10-inch circle on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut circle into 10 to 12 wedges.
- Arrange wedges atop spinach mixture, slightly over-lapping edges and sealing ends to bottom crust along edge of pan.
- Brush top with melted margarine or butter and sprinkle with Parmesan or Romano cheese.
- Bake in a 375°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until filling is hot and bread is done. If Necessary, cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking to prevent over-browning.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove sides of spring-form pan.
- Cut into wedges.