Chicken-Shrimp Jambalaya for Slow Cooker
Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- From: www2.kelloggs.com
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes | Total Time: 3 Hours 10 Minutes
- Servings: 6 (8 cups)
- 1 can (14 oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (1 oz) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups complete wheat bran flakes, crushed (about 3 cups cereal)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1¼ lb skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- ¼ lb fully cooked smoked turkey sausage, cut into ¼-inch slices
- 1¼ cups instant brown rice
- ½ lb frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- In 4-to 5-quart crockery cooker, combine undrained tomatoes,broth, cereal, onion, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning and Worcestershire sauce.
- Trim fat from chicken.
- Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Stir chicken and sausage into tomato mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2½ to 3 hours.
- Stir in rice, shrimp and pepper.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Serve with vegetables, such as sugar snap peas, if desired.
- Note: the shrimp is added near the end of the cooking time because it will get tough if left in the slow cooker for the entire time.
Per 1⅓ cups serving:
- 360 Calories | 70 Fat Calories | 8g Total Fat | 2g Sat Fat | 145 mg Cholesterol | 41g Carbs | 6g Fiber | 8g Sugar | 34g Protein