Chicken Breasts in Yogurt Turmeric Sauce with Green Peas
With fresh green peas, my preference, chicken breasts slathered in a sauce made bright yellow with turmeric is a dish for late spring to early summer. with frozen green peas, it's a dish for fall when the fresh peas have come and gone and the chickens have grown a bit plumper in the breast. Marinating the breasts before cooking adds to the velvety texture because yogurt, as middle eastern cooks know, is a natural tenderizer.
- Contributed by Pressurecookerrecipes Y-Group
- Excerpt from The Pressure Cooker Gourmet by Victoria Wise. ©2003, with permission from Harvard Common Press, 535 Albany Street, Boston, MA 02118 www.harvardcommonpress.com
- This Recipe is from the April 2003 Chef of the Month Interview with Victoria Wise.
- Prep time: 15 Minutes
- 4 Servings
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large russet potato, cut into ¼-inch-thick rounds
- 1 cup shelled fresh peas or frozen peas
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Mix together the yogurt, turmeric, cumin mustard seeds, salt, and pepper in a dish large enough to hold the breasts in 1 layer.
- Add the breasts and turn to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
- Melt the butter in the pressure cooker over medium heat.
- Layer with the potatoes across the bottom, then add the chicken and yogurt mixture.
- Without stirring, lock on the lid and bring to pressure over high heat, 2 to 3minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 3 minutes to finish cooking.
- With the steam vent pointed away from your face, gently release any remaining pressure.
- Transfer the breasts and potatoes to a serving platter and set aside in a warm place.
- Cook the sauce over high heat until reduced and slightly thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the peas and cilantro.
- Spoon over the chicken and serve right away.