Chicken Cacciatore with Whole-wheat Pasta
- Source: Prevention magazine
- Serves: 4
- 1½ lb skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- ½ cup dry white or red wine
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- black pepper
- 3 cups hot cooked whole wheat pasta
- minced fresh parsley
- Coat a large no-stick skillet with no-stick spray.
- Warm the skillet over medium heat.
- Season both sides of the chicken with the Italian seasoning and garlic powder.
- Add to the skillet and cook over medium heat, turning once, for about 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onions, green peppers and garlic to the skillet and saute for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- Add the tomatoes (with juice), wine and mushrooms.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- If the sauce is too thin, transfer the chicken to a warm dish and set aside.
- Cook the sauce, uncovered, at a brisk simmer for about 5 minutes, or until thick.
- Season to taste with the salt and black pepper.
- Serve the chicken and sauce over the pasta.
- Sprinkle with the parsley.
- 399 Calories | 6% from fat | 47.8g Protein | 3g Fat | 0.7g Sat | 39.9g Carbs | 7.4g Fiber | 99mg Cholesterol | 6mg Iron | 376mg Sodium | 92mg Calcium
- ↑ "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/