Chicken Madras with Rice
Makes 6 servings.
- 1½ pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1½ tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup catsup
- ¼ cup orange marmalade
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup sliced celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Melt butter in large skillet.
- Add chicken and cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until chicken is white, about 5 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch, curry powder, broth, catsup, marmalade and lemon juice. Pour over chicken; cook 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add onion, green pepper and celery; cover and cook 5 minutes longer. Vegetables should be tender crisp and chicken richly glazed.
- Serve over hot rice.