Chile Relleno Casserole
- Original recipe
- Yields 4 squares, each one 4 x 4 inches in size
- 6 roasted and peeled green chiles, split in half
- 1 cup pepper jack or mozzarella cheese
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup 1% milk
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Coat bottom and sides of 8-inch square glass baking pan with cooking spray.
- Line bottom of pan with half of the green chile.
- Sprinkle ½ cup of cheese on top.
- Using electric mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tarter on high until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk with flour, stirring until smooth.
- Add egg and blend well.
- Fold the beaten egg whites into the flour/milk mixture until well combined. Do not beat.
- Pour half of the egg white and flour mixture into the pan and spread evenly.
- Place remaining chile on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Pour remaining egg white mixture on top and spread until evenly covered.
- Bake in preheated oven until tops in golden brown and eggs are set and reach an internal temperature of at least 160°F (about 25 minutes).
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into 4 squares.
- Calories 200 | Calories from Fat 100 | Total Fat 11 g | Cholesterol 85 mg | Sodium 240 mg | Carbohydrate 13 g | Dietary Fiber 1 g | Protein 13 g
- Exchanges: 1 starch | 1 medium-fat meat | 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Units 1
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/