This rice is a mild tasting pilaf-type of rice that goes well with spicy foods. If you like to spice it up, adding some chopped green chiles works well.
- Rinse rice several times under cold water in a sieve and drain.
- Cook the Onion, bell pepper, and carrot in lard for 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook another minute, allowing rice to get thoroughly coated with lard.
- Add the hot broth, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes on low heat, until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender (do not stir while cooking).
- Fluff rice with a fork and garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot.