Chilean Sea Bass with Papaya Salsa
This recipe is for 8 servings.
Achiote sea bass
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp dry oregano leaves
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks - (ea 2" long)
- ⅔ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 4 oz achiote paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbl minced garlic
- 1 cup peanut oil or canola oil
- 4 Chilean sea bass fillets - (6 oz ea)
- 2 large papaya, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- ⅔ cup minced red onion
- ⅔ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp sushi seasoning (or seasoned rice vinegar)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 4 tsp fresh chile paste (sambal oelek)
- 2 tbl oil
- ⅔ cup minced leeks, white part only
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 8 x ears corn steamed, and corn kernels cut from cobs
- 2 tbl chicken broth
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- 2 tbl butter
- salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
Achiote sea bass
- Grind together peppercorns, oregano, cloves, cumin and cinnamon.
- Place spice mixture in food processor with vinegar, achiote paste, water and garlic.
- While machine is running, slowly add oil.
- Process until smooth.
- Marinade can be stored in covered container in refrigerator up to 6 weeks. (makes about 3 cups)
- Marinate fillets in 1 cup marinade, covered, overnight in refrigerator.
- Combine papayas, bell peppers, onion, cilantro, sushi seasoning, cumin, coriander, oregano and chile paste in medium bowl.
- Mix well. (makes about 4 cups).
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over high heat.
- Lift fillets from marinade and add to pan.
- Brown on both sides, turning once, about 2 minutes.
- Remove to baking dish and bake at 400 degrees until it flakes with fork, 10 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to skillet and saute leeks and garlic until fragrant, 2 minutes.
- Add corn and saute 2 minutes.
- Add broth, cumin, coriander and oregano and cook 2 minutes.
- Add butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, stirring, until butter melts and sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange sea bass and corn mixture on heated plates.
- Top with papaya salsa.
- Serve with roasted asparagus, if desired.