Chili con carne
Chili con carne   can be made over a fire outside or over a stove in the house. This is a hearty flavourful dish.
- 4 1/2 lbs beef brisket, trimmed and sliced ~1 inch thick pieces across the grain
- 2 cups hot coffee
- 3 large dried chiles (ancho, chipotle, or poblano)
- olive oil
- 2 heaping tsp ground cumin
- 2 heaping tsp smoked paprika
- 1 heaping tsp dried oregano
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 red onions, peeled and diced
- 3-4 fresh chiles
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 10 cloves of garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- sea salt & fresh ground black pepper
- 4 x 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 3 tbsp molasses or dark brown sugar
- 3 red, yellow, or orange bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 2 x 15 oz cans beans (kidney, butter or pinto) drained
- sour cream (optional)
- Pick up a brisket from the butcher, request for it to be trimmed and sliced.
- Make coffee.
- Soak the dried chiles in the coffee.
- Over low heat throw some olive oil in the pan to warm.
- In the pan, include; cumin, paprika, oregano, bay leaves, onions.
- For ~10 min fry these until the onions are soft.
- Take half of the fresh chiles, seed and chop them up.
- Take the chiles that were soaking in the coffee and slice.
- In the pan, include; the fresh chopped chiles, the sliced soaked chiles, cinnamon sticks, sliced garlic, good pinch of salt & pepper and a splash of the coffe that had the chiles soaking.
- Stir well.
- In the pan, include; rest of the coffee, canned tomatoes, molasses (or sugar), pieces of brisket, good pinch of salt & pepper.
- Cover pan with lid and let simmer for ~3 hours.
- Occasionally stir.
- After a few hours go in a break meat apart.
- Include the sliced bell peppers and canned beans, leave to simmer for ~30 min with lid off.
- Occasionally stir.
- Serve with scoop of sour cream. (optional)
- ↑ Rombauer, Becker, Becker, Irma, Marion, Ethan Espe (2006). 75th joy of cooking. Simon & Schuster Inc.. pp. 513. ISBN 13:978-0-7432-4626-2.
- ↑ Oliver, Jamie Espe (2010). Jamie's AMERICA easy twists on great american classics, and more. Michael Joseph / The Penguin Group. pp. 328. ISBN 978-1-4013-2360-8.