Chinese Chicken and Broccoli
Try this delicious chicken recipe provided by Dlife's Chef Becker.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Servings: 4
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and lightly pounded
- 1 head broccoli, cut up
- 3 tbsp ginger, minced
- 3 tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- 2 tsp safflower oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup dehydrated shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- Soak the shiitake mushrooms in a bowl of warm water til pliable and soft, 20 minutes.
- Remove them straining the soaking water through a sieve or cheese cloth and reserving.
- Slice up the mushrooms and reserve.
- Slice up the chicken into thin pieces and coat with * 1 tbsp soy sauce, the sesame oil, and 2 tbsp cornstarch.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for 20 minutes.
- In a heated wok or large saute pan, add the safflower oil and briefly fry the chicken strips.
- Add the ginger and garlic and toss together coating evenly.
- Add the broccoli and ½ of the shiitake water to the pan and cover steaming for 5 minutes until the broccoli is cooked.
- Add the scallions and remaining soy sauce to the pan and cook 1 minute longer.
- The resulting dish is one that is high in flavor and low in carbohydrates.
- For all intent and purposes, the cornstarch can be omitted resulting in a broth as opposed to a sauce.
- 244 Calories(19% of Calories From Fat) | 5g Total Fat | 1g Saturated Fat | 79mg Calcium, 3mng Iron | 746mg Potassium | 32g Protein | 69mg Cholesterol | 1305mg Sodium | 17g Carbs | 3g Dietary Fiber
- Dietary Exchanges: trace starch/bread | 2 vegetables | 4 lean meat | ½ fat