| Alsatian recipes
Choucroute Garnie Sauerkraut with sausages, salt pork and potatoes.
Being a little picky about your ingredients (especially the sauerkraut) with this recipe makes all the difference.
- 1 or so tablespoons of duck fat
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 or 3 small potatoes
- 5 juniper berries
- 1 clove
- 1 or 2 garlic cloves
- 1 or so tablespoons of coriander seed
- 1/2 tablespoon black mustard seed
- 2 strips of bacon, sliced (or the same amount of salted pork belly) into rough squares
- 1 pound of sauerkraut
- 4 pork sausages
- 3 smoked pork slices, bone in
- 1 cup (240ml) or so of white wine (dry)
- In a pot large enough to in the end hold everything, melt the duck fat over medium heat.
- When hot, add the onions and sauté until translucent (about five minutes or so).
- Then, add the sauerkraut, white wine, juniper berries, clove, coriander seed, mustard seed, and garlic.
- Add the smoked pork and bacon.
- Cover, and then simmer for about two hours.
- In other pot, simmer two peeled potatoes and your sausages (not a boil, or your sausages will split open).
- Simmer until potatoes are done (and by then the sausage will be, too).
- Serve in a heap-- sauerkraut at the bottom, various pig and potato parts on top. This is delicious.fr:Livre de cuisine/Choucroute 2