Cracked Wheat Salad
Salad with beans
- 1 cup bulgher (cracked) Wheat
- 1 small Onion, grated
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 small red ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbls chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cups chopped parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 12 black olives
Soak the Wheat in 1 quart cold water for 15 minutes or until soft. Place in a large sieve lined with cheesecloth and squeeze out the extra moisture. Put into a mixing bowl and add the Onion, scallions, tomatoes, mint leaves, parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Blend thoroughly.
Mix the lemon juice and oil; pour over Wheat mixture and toss with fork. Correct the seasoning. Let stand 2 to 3 hours in a cool place (refrigerator) before serving. Garnish with when serving.
NOTE: For extra flavor, try soaking the bulgher Wheat in chicken broth and mix the sliced black olives into the salad instead of using them as whole black olive garnishes.