Creamy Chicken with Cornmeal Dumplings
Contributed by PressureCookerRecipes Y-Group
- Makes 4 main-dish servings
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 cups desired fresh vegetables, such as chopped carrots, chopped turnip, chopped rutabaga, chopped onion, and/or green beans cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 x 9-ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- Cut chicken into ¾-inch pieces.
- In a 4- or 6-quart pressure cooker combine chicken, desired vegetables, corn, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, basil, mustard, ⅛ teaspoon black pepper, and vegetable broth or water.
- Lock lid in place.
- Place pressure regulator on vent pipe (if you have a first-generation cooker).
- Over high heat, bring cooker up to pressure.
- Reduce heat just enough to maintain pressure and pressure regulator rocks gently; cook for 3 minutes.
- While mixture cooks, in a small bowl stir together the ⅓ cup flour, cornmeal, baking powder, the ⅛ teaspoon salt, and dash black pepper.
- Combine the ¼ cup milk and cooking oil; add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined.
- Quick-release the pressure.
- Carefully remove lid.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the ¼ cup flour and the ¾ cup milk; add to the pressure cooker.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.
- Drop dumpling batter from a tablespoon to make 4 mounds atop bubbling chicken mixture.
- Cover loosely (do not lock lid) and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center of dumpling comes out clean.