Crummy Vegetable Bake
Serves 4 – 6
- 1 medium cauliflower, cored and broken into florettes
- ¼ head red cabbage, cored and shredded
- 6 medium carrots, diced
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into ½" cubes
- 2 cups fresh spinach, shredded
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil + 1 tsp sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, for tossing veggies in.
- Steam all vegetables except spinach for 10 minutes, or until tender but not mushy.
- Add spinach for the last minute, just to wilt it.
- In a heavy skillet, heat the 4 tbsp olive oil.
- Add the garlic and sauté briefly.
- In your food processor or blender, process the bread crumbs to a corn-meal consistency.
- Add to the garlic and olive oil and toss until all oil is absorbed into the bread.
- Toss the steamed veggies with the 1 tbsp olive oil and salt and pepper, and then toss with ½ of the crumb mixture.
- Spread this in a shallow oven-safe pan.
- Top with the remaining crumb mixture and drizzle with the 2 remaining tbsp of olive oil.
- Bake in the hot oven for 5 – 10 minutes, until topping is browned.
- Keep your eye on it to keep it from burning, though!