Date Nut Bread
From "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group"
- From: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking by Maggie Powers
- Yield: 16 Servings
- ½ cup diced dried dates
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup low-fat (1%) milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp granulated sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the dried dates and water in a small saucepan;
- Heat over medium heat until the water simmers;
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- in a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Make a well in the center.
- in another medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla until well blended.
- Pour into the well of the flour mixture; Stir just until combined (do not over-mix), about 1 minute.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a rack, 5-10 Minutes
- Then remove from the pan and place on the rack to finish cooling.
- 142 Calories | 2g Protein | 71mg Sodium | 14mg Cholesterol | 5g Fat | 24g Carbs
- Exchanges: 1½ carbs, 1 fat
- "Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends