Date and Banana Squares
This is a Chadian dessert. Many of the desserts in the cuisine of Chad are made from fresh fruits, dry fruits like peanuts, raisins, dates, pistachios etc.
- 250 g butter
- 200 ml Sugar
- 2 eggs
- 500 ml flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 10 ml baking powder
- 4 bananas
- 250 g dates
- 15 ml melted butter
- 5 ml cinnamon
- 30 ml Sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- cream butter and Sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder and mix well.
- Place half the mixture onto a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Cover the dough with banana slices and chopped date pieces.
- Place the remaining dough over as a topping.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven.
- Brush the melted butter over the top while still hot.
- Mix cinnamon and Sugar and sprinkle over the top.
- Cut into squares and cool on wire rack.