Djej M'ammer B'r-roz
Algerian chicken stuffed with rice
- 1 eggplant
- 2 red peppers
- 1 onion
- 3 tomatoes
- ½ tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon of your favorite spice blend
- 1 cup of rice
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 whole chicken
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Chop the vegetables.
- Add paprika, spice blend and about 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 cups of water.
- Soak the rice overnight or parboil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the saffron, raisins and pine nuts.
- You can toast the pine nuts for an added dimension of flavor.
- You can use turmeric instead of saffron.
- Stuff the chicken under the breast skin, season the outside and inside with about 1 tablespoon of salt total and black pepper.
- Stuff the cavity with the rice.
- You can steam the chicken or cook it in the pot with the vegetables.
- Cook it in the same pot as the vegetables for about 3 hours.
- Move the chicken around a bit every 30 minutes or so to prevent burning.
- Cook over a very low flame.
- As always you can choose to skim the fat that rises to the top.