- In a double boiler (or, a small pot supported by some stacked silverware inside a large water-filled skillet, like me) melt the unsweetened chocolate and the first half of the chocolate chips together until smooth.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Melt the margarine in a small pan and let cool slightly.
- In a large bowl mix the flour, baking soda and salt (also the sucanat, if that is your brand of sweetener) thoroughly.
- Make a well in the centre of these ingredients and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a second bowl, whip the first amount of soy milk with the corn or potato starch.
- Add the brown sugar, the rest of the soy milk, the melted chocolate, the melted margarine and the vanilla, and beat on a medium speed until it is all thoroughly combined.
- Pour this into the well in the dry ingredients and mix lightly and quickly until just moistened.
- Fold in the remaining half of the chocolate chips.
- Fill prepared muffin tins (either oiled or lined with paper cups) ⅔rds full, and bake 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of one comes up clean.