Double Red Lentil Soup
- 1 cup red lentils, sorted and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. salt, or more to taste
- 1 Tbs. olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 medium parsnips, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small bunch spinach (8 oz.), rinsed well, thick stems removed and torn into
- bite-size pieces
- 1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of Cayenne
In medium saucepan, combine Lentils, bay leaf and 4 cups cold water. Cover partially and bring to a boil over high heat. Mix well, reduce heat to low and simmer until Lentils are tender, about 12 minutes.
While Lentils are cooking, in large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, cumin and coriander and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in parsnips, carrots, salt to taste and 1 1/2 cups water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir spinach and lemon juice into vegetable mixture. Cover and cook until spinach is just wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in reserved Lentil puree and Cayenne and warm through. Taste and season with salt and Cayenne. Serve hot.
- stir in a tiny dollop of chile paste orhot pepper sauce and/or sprinkle each portion with a handful of chopped fresh cilantro or flat-leaf parsley.