Eggplant Pilaf in Olive Oil
This recipe is for 3 servings.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 3 chopped onions
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp currants
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp allspice
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh dill, chopped
- Cut stem off eggplant.
- Using vegetable peeler, peeling lengthwise, remove a strip of skin, leave next strip on.
- Continue to peel in this striped fashion.
- Cube eggplant into 1" cubes.
- Sprinkle generously with salt and set aside for 3 hours. Rinse well.
- Drain as well as possible, but don't tear the eggplant.
- Soak rice in hot water mixed with 2 ts salt, until the water turns cool.
- Drain well and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pan and cook eggplant cubes, stirring frequently.
- Till tender and golden brown on all sides.
- Drain to remove excess oil.
- Add onions and pine nuts to same pan.
- Saute for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in eggplant and rest of ingredients except dill.
- Add 3 cups hot water, bring to a boil, cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cook till all the water has been absorbed.
- Stir in the dill.
- Ensure that the skillet lid has a very good seal. Cover the skillet with a clean towel and put the lid on top of that.
- Set pan on a heat diffuser over the lowest possible heat and leave it for 30 minutes. Stir.
- Serve cold.