Elegant Chuck Roast
Purchased from Lowery Estate in Arlington, Texas in 1984. Marked as Louie's favorite. Dated 1959. This is a tried and true recipe. I also make it in a crock pot (cooking 5 hours) on lazy Sunday afternoons
- 5 pound chuck roast
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup sliced purple onions
- 2 tablespoons lard or shortening
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- ½ cup catsup
- ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- In a pot, melt the lard.
- Brown the roast on all sides in hot lard.
- Add Onion and garlic, cooking until Onion is soft.
- Combine catsup, water, vinegar, worcestershire sauce, rosemary and salt.
- Pour over meat. Cover and cook slowly until meat is fork tender, about 3 hours.