Elli's veal or chicken with walnuts
Elli's veal or chicken with walnuts, Gjellë me arra të Ellit, is an Albanian dish.
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 15 finely crushed shelled walnuts
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 lb. (one stick) butter
- 2-3 lbs of veal or chicken meat cut into 1" cubes
- Place the meat or chicken in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Remove the meat and set it aside in a dish while leaving the remaining juices in the saucepan.
- In another saucepan, add the flour and stir over heat until it becomes light brown in color (do not overcook!) and add half the butter.
- Add the walnuts, garlic, and egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Add the juices from the other saucepan and stir until all the ingredients thicken. Immediately remove from the heat to avoid solidifying the egg yolks. Fold in the meat.
- Pan fry the remaining half stick of butter until brown and pour over the servings.