- Mix flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening until it resembles crumbly meal.
- Gradually sprinkle in milk stirring until dough clings together.
- Knead 10 times.
- Let rest ½ hour.
- Mix ground beef with all the ingredients except tomato paste.
- Fry slowly in 1 tablespoon oil until cooked.
- Mash around a bit so it's crumbly.
- Add 1 to 2 tablespoons tomato paste (so that it's thick), stir very well.
- Turn off heat and let filling cool.
- Add as much hot sauce as you like.
- On a very well-floured surface, roll dough as thick as you would for pie crust (can divide it into 2 parts if desired).
- Cut 5" circles (using any container with 5" opening) and place filling on center of each circle.
- Brush beaten egg on lower edge of circles.
- Fold over and press edges with fork dipped in flour.
- Fry in lard about 2 minutes on each side until brown.
- Make sure there is enough lard to cover the empanadas — about 3 – 4" deep.
- Can be frozen unfried.
- Stack between wax paper, sprinkling plenty of flour in between empanadas and wax paper, or they will stick together.