Enchilada Casserole I
This is a recipe I obtained from an Estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Milligan Estate in Crandall, Texas in 2000. From "Catsrecipes Y-Group"
- 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh whole kernel corn
- 16 ounce can stewed tomatoes
- 4 ounce can chopped mild green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 16 corn tortillas
- 1 pound Monterey jack cheese shredded
- 8 ounce jar prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- In large skillet heat oil over high heat.
- Add beef, onion, pepper and garlic then sauté stirring constantly until meat is browned.
- Drain off fat.
- Stir in corn and remove mixture to large bowl.
- In small skillet heat stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chilies, chili powder and cumin to boiling stirring to break up pieces of tomato.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Spoon ½ cup sauce into bottom of shallow baking dish.
- Stir ½ cup sauce into hamburger mixture.
- Working on waxed paper dip a tortilla in sauce then fill with ¼ cup meat mixture and 2 tablespoons cheese.
- Roll up and place in baking pan.
- Repeat to make 2 layers of 8 enchiladas then stir any remaining meat mixture into sauce and pour over enchiladas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Spoon salsa over top and bake 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped onions and serve immediately.
- "Catsrecipes Y-Group" http://Groups.Yahoo.Com/Group/Catsrecipes/ Catsrecipes Y-Group