Estonian Ground Meat Patties (Hakklihakotlet)
- ½ lb lean ground Beef
- ½ lb lean ground Veal
- ½ lb lean ground Pork
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tea spoon fresh ground black pepper
- ½ Onion (finely chopped)
- ¾ cup cold water
- 4 table spoon vegetable oil
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine everything except bread crumbs and oil, and mix with your hands for 5-10 minutes until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
2. Moisten your hands with cold water and shape the mixture into 8 thick, round patties, then dip each in the bread crumbs, fully coating both sides.
3. Heat the vegetable oil over high heat until a haze forms above it.
4. Fry the patties 2-3 at a time for about 5-10 minutes on each side, Change the sides so to regulating the heat so that they brown deeply, but don't burn.
5. To make sure that they are fully cooked insert the tip of a knife into one of the patties, spreading it slightly apart, and look to see that there is no pink.
6. If it is still pink in the middle, lower the heat and cook a few minutes longer, remove from the oil.
Serve them hot. Serve with braised red cabbage. Serving will be enough for 4-5 people.