Faggots and Gravy
If you're looking for something to do with your Pigs Livers and Hearts, how about some Faggots?
(This is mostly Gordon Ramsey's recipe, which has worked well for me in the past)
- 400g Pigs Livers and Hearts(grind the livers and dice the hearts)
- 250g Pork Belly (ground)
- 1 medium Onion, (finely chopped)
- 1 Garlic clove, (crushed and finely chopped)
- 1/3 tsp ground Mace
- 1/3 tsp ground Allspice
- Good pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp chopped Sage
- 1 tsp chopped Thyme
- 2 medium free-range eggs (beaten)
- 125g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Caul Fat (Soak in water before use. Will probably need to ask a real butcher for it, it is optional though)
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 1/2 Tomato purée
- 250ml Ale (I last tried it with a ginger infused beer. It was good. You want a golden Ale rather than a bitter or pilsner.)
- 500ml Chicken stock
- Few dashes of Worcestershire sauce
Season and sweat the onions and garlic in butter until translucent, not coloured. 6-8 minutes normally does it. Allow to cool. Mix in with all the Faggot ingredients bar the Caul Fat. Season and chill for an hour to firm up,
Set oven to 200c/390f. Turn the Faggot mix into meatballs (this makes six large ones, 12 small ones). Individually wrap each Faggot with the Caul Fat. Place them on an oiled roasting tray, spaced apart and bake for 30 - 35 minutes until nicely brown. Turn them at around the 20 minute mark.
Whilst the Faggots are cooking, make the gravy. Melt some butter in a saucepan and sauté the Onion with seasoning for 5 minutes. Stir in Flour and Tomato purée to form a paste and cook for a couple more minutes. Gently stir in the Ale and when the mix is smooth, bring to a boil to reduce the liquid by two thirds. Add the Stock and simmer for 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning and add the Worcestershire sauce.
When the Faggots are browned, pour the liquor over and return to the oven, basting them every five minutes
Serve them in their gravy with something mashed.