Fat-free Baking Powder Biscuits
Makes about 15 - 20 biscuits.
- 2 cups flour 
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- ¾ tbsp salt
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ½ to ⅔ cup cold low-fat buttermilk, skim milk or milk substitute
- In a larger bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Sprinkle the applesauce over the flour, and cut in with a pastry blender until it is in bits the size of split peas.
- The texture should be somewhat course.
- Sprinkle ½ cup cold milk over the flour and applesauce, and stir it in quickly with a fork.
- Add only as much of the milk as is necessary to make the dough hold together.
- Gather the dough up into a ball, working it together with your hands very briefly, and then roll it out ½ inch thick on a floured board.
- Cut out small rounds (about 2 ½" to 3" in diameter) and place them on a cookie sheet spritzed with PAM. If you aren't going to put them in the oven immediately, chill them in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
- Bake the biscuits in a preheated oven at 450°F for 10 to 12 minutes, or until puffed and lightly browned on top.