- Mix all the dough ingredients at room temperature. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, eggs or yeast, and salt. Slowly mix in the water for thick dough. Knead for a few minutes. Cover with a clean cloth and set aside in a warm place to rest. If yeast is used, instead of eggs the dough should rest for at least an hour or two.
- While the dough is resting: Heat oil in a skillet. Fry the fish and vegetables ingredients for stuffing. Reduce heat. Add tomato paste and enough water to keep the mixture moist, cover, and simmer for half an hour. Adjust seasoning. Chop fish into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a separate pot; fry the vegetable ingredients for sauce. Reduce heat. Add tomato paste and water, cover, and simmer. Adjust seasoning.
- Roll the dough into a sheet about a quarter of an inch (0.6 centimeter) thick. Cut the dough into pieces, each about the size of your hand. Cut the edges to form neat squares. Place a spoonful of the stuffing mixture in the center of each piece of dough, fold the dough over the stuffing, and crimp the edges together.
- Deep fry the pies in hot oil, until they are golden brown, turning them at least once. Fry only a few at a time, not letting them touch each other while frying. When each batch is done, place the pastels on a paper towel, and place in a warm oven until all are done.
- Garnish with a little parsley. Serve with a bowl filled with the warm dipping sauce.