French Cabbage Salad
- 2 eggs
- 1 cabbage, shredded
- ¼ lb bacon
- 2 cups onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- ½ cup white-wine tarragon vinegar
- 1 tomato
- Cut the bacon into tiny bits, fry it in a big deep frying pan, and fish out all the bits after they are crisp.
- Cut up the onion and garlic and fry them in the bacon fat.
- When they are brown, pour in the vinegar.
- Bring it just up to a simmer, add all the cabbage and bacon, toss it as you would a salad, and serve it.
- The cabbage doesn't cook, but it wilts a little under the hot vinegar.