French Onion Soup II
Very delicious soup. Enjoy with a piece of toast.
- 6 medium onions, sliced thin
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 7 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup apple juice (optional)
- 6 slices French bread (dried in oven)
- grated Swiss cheese
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Saute onion in butter until it is soft.
- Then add sugar, salt, and nutmeg and toss in pan.
- Turn down heat to still cook, but not to get onions dark, but golden brown.
- Add hot broth and all other liquids.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof casserole dishes or pots and top each with a piece of French bread.
- Put about 2 tbs of the Swiss cheese on top and cook at 300°F for 10 minutes.
- Serve with additional Swiss cheese and Parmesan.