Frozen Christmas Plum Pudding
A southern-hemisphere Christmas plum pudding - in the southern hemisphere they have a summer Christmas so they have adapted some of the more traditional festive fare to local conditions. Here is one example: it is very easy, and it can be made up to a week ahead of using. The original recipe called for the use of a microwave to do the heating and cooking. This works well for melting the gelatine but is a bit of a nuisance otherwise.
- Difficulty: easy to moderate (timing matters).
- Time: 15 minutes preparation, overnight freezing.
- Yield: serves 8 – 10
- 4 cup dried fruits (mixed) finely chopped
- 1 tbsp orange rind, grated
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- ½ cup brandy or masala
- 2 tbsp gelatine
- 1 tbsp water, boiling
- 1 gallon ice cream, vanilla slightly softened but not melted
- Combine fruit, spice, orange rind, cocoa and brandy in a large saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring almost to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Mix gelatine and boiling water; simmer in a small pan for a few seconds, until evenly melted.
- Blend into fruit, chill.
- Fold the fruit into the softened ice cream, blending evenly.
- Pack into foil lined bowl, cover with foil and freeze overnight or longer.
- To serve, unmould onto a serving plate, cut into wedges and serve with cinnamon-flavoured whipped cream.