|Garbanzo bean stew
||abut an hour and a half
| American cuisine
| Vegetarian Cuisine | Beans
- In a Dutch Oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, red pepper, garlic, saffron, and potatoes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes start to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, then sherry and cook about a minute.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, stock (or water), salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook partially covered until potatoes are tender and stew thickens, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand about 15 minutes to meld flavors and thicken slightly.
- To serve, make a pyramid of rice in the center of each of 4 bowls, then ladle hot stew around rice.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- If you prefer a spicier dish, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the pot while the stew is cooking.