This traditional Spanish cold soup is a tasty way to eat your vegetables. Each serving has two cups of vegetables.
- Fruits and Veggies Matter, Adult Recipe Cards by the US Centers for Disease Contol and Prevention—public domain government resource
- Cook Time: 20 minutes + 60 minutes to chill
- Serves: 6
- 8 large tomatoes, peeled
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and finely diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium-size red onion, minced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2½ tbsp chopped fresh parsley or 2 tsp dried basil
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- hot pepper sauce to taste
- Core the tomatoes and gently squeeze out the seeds. Coarsely chop half of the tomatoes and puree the other half in a food processor.
- Combine the puree and chopped tomatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve chilled; garnish with herbed croutons if desired.
- To peel the tomatoes, soak them in boiling water for 15 seconds. Place in a colander and rinse under cold water. The skins should slip right off.
- To seed cucumbers, remove the skin and cut off the ends. Cut in half lengthwise. Gently spoon seeds out of middle.