Granite Brewery's Beer and Beef Stew
- The above combination may be varied at will; just remember to use beer instead of water to improve the flavours.
- Combine the cubed veggies with the miscellaneous stuff and cook until the veggies are done.
- Add the beef and cook another 5 minutes at low simmer.
- Finally, add the roux, stir well and cook over medium heat about 15 minutes.
- To make the roux, which is a thickening agent used around the world and named by the french, you heat the oil on medium heat and add the flour.
- Stirring constantly, slowly brown the mixture without burning until it turns a nice chocolatey brown.
- Slowly add in the cold water, stirring constantly until the consistency is smooth.
- When required, add to the stew and blend in well with the thinner liquid.
- The 15 minutes at medium heat causes the flour to absorb a lot of the liquid and thicken the stew.