Green Bean, Chickpea, and Tomato Salad
The salad holds well and can be tossed a few hours in advance--but leave out the salt until close to serving time, since it will cause the tomatoes to release their juice. Blanch the green beans up to a day ahead, and keep refrigerated.
- Source: Cooking Light via WebMD
- Yield: 6 servings
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed (8 oz)
- 4 cups coarsely chopped tomato (about 2½ lb)
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- ½ cup (2oz) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2½ tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 (15½-oz) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- Place the beans in a large saucepan of boiling water, and cook 3 minutes.
- Drain and plunge beans into ice water.
- Combine beans, tomato, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl; toss well to combine.
Per 1⅓ cups serving:
- 157 Calories, 29% from Fat | 5.1g Fat | 1.8g Sat | 2g Mono | 0.8g Poly | 6.2g Protein | 8mg Cholesterol | 91mg Calcium | 463mg Sodium | 24.4g Carbs | 5.9g Fiber | 2.1mg Iron
- "Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group" http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Healthy_Recipes_For_Diabetic_Friends/