Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole was invented in 1955 by the Campbell Soup Company. It has since become a Thanksgiving favorite in the United States.
There are many basic recipes for green bean casserole. Here is one example:
- Green bean casserole on Wikibooks, original source of recipe, licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 1 can (approx. 14.5 ounces) French-style green beans, drained
- 1 can or jar (approx. 15 ounces) small whole onions, drained
- 2 tablespoons diced drained pimento
- 1 can (10¾ ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- In a lightly buttered 1½-quart casserole, combine green beans, onions, diced pimento, and mushroom soup.
- Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F (175°C) for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cream of mushroom soup may be regular or reduced sodium.
- If you love cheese, substitute ½ cup shredded cheese for the soy sauce.
- ½ cup of chopped red bell peppers will make it very colorful.