Green Bean Casserole with French-fried Onions
Green bean casserole was invented in 1955 by the Campbell Soup Company. It has since become a Thanksgiving favorite in the United States.
There are many basic recipes for green bean casserole. Here is one example:
- Green bean casserole from the Wikibooks Cookbook, source of original article licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4
- 8 cups cooked green beans
- 1 cup milk
- 2⅔ cups (canned) French fried onions, divided into 2 equal portions
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 x 10¾-ounce cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Stir beans, milk, ½ of onions, pepper, soup, and soy sauce in a 3-quart casserole.
- Bake until hot, about 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle top with rest of onions.
- Bake another 5 minutes.
- Cream of mushroom soup may be regular or reduced sodium.
- If you love cheese, substitute ½ cup shredded cheese for the soy sauce.
- ½ cup of chopped red bell peppers will make it very colorful.